28 March, 2012

IKEA magazine holders turned rad






I guess I'm sort of a magazine holder.  I don't like throwing them away, but they're so ugly.  I used to stash them in shoe boxes in my closet to use for art projects.  Now they are part of my decor.

I bedazzled these IKEA magazine holders more than a year ago, but they still make me happy.  It is the easiest and cheapest project.  And bonus: I had fun making them.  I find a lot of joy in taking things that are boring and making them pretty or fun. 

I bought the 5-pack magazine holders from IKEA for 1.99.  Then I just used acrylic paint and scrapbooking paper that I already had.  I was nervous the paint would chip off or look weird because the holders are kind of like glossy cardboard.  They look really good painted and they haven't chiped or cracked at all.

 I measured the front side to see how big to cut my paper and made it slightly smaller so a tiny bit of the miss-matched paint would show on the front.  After the paint was dry I mod podged the paper on and let it dry.  They are filled with magazines and papers and they really make my room so much happier. 

I don't really love matching things, but I bet they would look good with one color of paint and one print.  Yay for IKEA and cheap crafternoon projects.

Happy Crafternoon to you.

3 comments:

Laura Eve said...

you're so crafty.

Nelle said...

adoooooorable. love crafternoons. maybe one day we can have one together. what a dream.

Jill said...

i have a sitch. I can't seem to figure out how to put the damn things together. Help!