26 November, 2010

And then we built a house.



Kuch dawg invited me to go build houses. why not?
The drive alone was an adventure.

And then we got there to build houses for Navajo people who didn't have one.
There were 3 different houses being built this week, so we all split up.
We were working on a house for someone who lost theirs to a fire.


They are such interesting people. The whole extended family lives in a close little clump.
We talked to one of the daughters who lived in a trailer 100 meters away (yep-thats the only accurate measurement I can talk about) and she showed us the mud hut that one of the brothers lives in.

They had so little, it was almost like being back in the Philippines. but not quite as rad.
I had no idea what I was doing at first, but I learned a lot. I actually dared use some power tools!

And I am pro at snapping a line, measuring, making 45 pb&js, clearing burnt rubble, making window frames, you know... all of those useful things.

No comments: